Hi, I'm Beth! Welcome to the party!
Last summer I launched my online party supply shop, La Jolie Fête from my home in sunny Long Beach, California. This year I want to create a community of like-minded party people by sharing DIY's, tutorials, and party planning advice + tips through my biweekly blog. A lot of work goes into the behind-the-scenes life of a #lajoliefeteparty and we are so excited to share our wins and fails with you in 20-YAY-teen!! To start off the New Year we have compiled a list of 18 things you may not know about me and my company, La Jolie Fête:
1) I was born in Guadalajara, Mexico and was adopted by my parents when I was only one week old! I have visited my birthplace several times growing up and have always infused my Mexican heritage into my life as much as possible (especially now that I have two little ones of my own). While I have no knowledge of my birth family I do plan on researching my genetic family history this year to find out a little more about my ancestry!
2) I am a United States Marine Veteran and proud of it! Unsure of what I wanted out of life at 17 after graduation, I joined the Marine Corps and left home for the first time a few months later. The Marine Corps taught me many valuable life lessons like selflessness, esprit de corps, and discipline which I apply to my business everyday. Best of all, I met my husband Nolan at my last duty station and now our family has grown to four!
3) I swam competitively for about 8 years for a YMCA swim team in Rockford, Illinois. My favorite stroke is butterfly and at one point in my career I was 3rd in State for the 50-meter butterfly!
4) Growing up I imagined myself becoming a spy or secret agent because I was always so intrigued with mystery, nosy and into other people's conversations. I used to save up my allowance to buy spy gear and try it out around the house.
5) My favorite color is glitter...glitter counts as a color right?
6) My biggest pet peeve is hearing other people chew and I know I'm not the only one because it's actually a phobia called: misophonia!
7) My favorite quote comes from the movie 'Princess Diaries' but was first spoken by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
8) Starting in middle school and continuing on until junior year of high school I played the violin. It's been quite a few years since I've last played but once I have enough free time I would love to pick up the art of music again!
9) One thing I cherish most about life is time spend with the ones I love, quality time is my love language so making memories and traditions with family and friends is essential for my happiness.
10) I started college again after transitioning out of the Marine Corps one week before my son, Max was born. I waddled to my first classes at Virginia State University on a Thursday, went in for an induction on Monday (had my precious baby boy) and was back in my seat taking notes with the rest of my peers the following Thursday! You may call me crazy but at the time I was working as a contractor with the government and was unable to take any paid time off. In between driving from classes, work and home I pumped in the car and anywhere else I could find some peace and quiet! It was hard but it was a sacrifice many mothers make in today's society and now I am just 2 courses away from my degree in Entrepreneurship!
11) While I have always planned parties and events for my family and friends growing up, my passion for celebrating everyday life came after the birth of my daughter, Sophia. The first big event I planned was her first birthday, I DIY-ed everything from the pink themed decor to the fresh pink lemonade I served to guests and looking back at the photos I am so proud of how far I've come since then.
12) My first West Coast job was as an Executive Assistant planning marriage proposals for a company called: The Heart Bandits. I wrote weekly blogs with marriage proposal advice, managed our Los Angeles office and styled marriage proposals all over the world. One of my favorites was a Malibu proposal that included the couples' entire family, string trio, cake, overflowing champagne and an abundance of pink + white roses adorning a 10 (yes really, I looked it up on Zillow!) million dollar estate overlooking the ocean. It was absolutely fabulous and of course she said YES!
13) My husband and I have not yet taken our honeymoon but once we have enough time in our schedules, Paris, Greece, Fiji or Italy are just a few places we are dreaming of....
14) I love my freckles and beauty marks, they are one of my most favorite things about myself. My daughter and I share an identical beauty mark on our left feet and funny enough my husband and our son share identical birthmarks on their stomachs!
15) I love to read! The first book I learned to read was: 'GoodNight Moon' and the most current book I'm reading (well listening to on Audible) is: 'Into the Magic Shop' by James R. Doty, M.D.
16) I am exactly 9 months and 29 days older than my husband Nolan, he likes to describe it as me "robbing the cradle" and I say age is just a number!
17) I have two furbabies, Duke and Belle. Duke is a Pomeranian mix and Belle a white German Shepherd and while they vary greatly in size they both have found their forever home with our family.
18) My dream is to own a brick and mortar storefront here in Long Beach with two of my closest girlfriends and #bossbabes. We want to create a sense of community of makers, creatives and small business owners working together to inspire, create and motivate others to follow their own dreams. We are all hard at work to make this dream become a reality so stick around and see what happens this next year!
Thank you for taking the time to learn a little more about me, I look forward to sharing my tips and tricks with you guys and let me know in the comments below some things that you would like to see from me and our La Jolie Fête team in 2018!